How can I get started in weightlifting?
At what age can children start weightlifting?
- Children as young as 9 can train and compete in local Club competitions. Young children don’t really start developing strong muscles before they reach puberty, so it’s very important to have realistic expectations of what can be achieved at a young age and to focus on skill development and having fun
- Have a look at our Parents Fact Sheet and Females Fact Sheet
- It’s very important for participants of all ages to follow the guidance of an experienced Weightlifting Coach
How much does it cost to join OWA?
- The current yearly membership fees are:
- Secondary School Students $10.00
- Everyone Else $20.00
- These rates are for a full 12 month period of membership
- Only current OWA members can compete in our OWA weightlifting events
What other fees will I have to pay?
- Clubs usually charge training fees and some clubs may charge annual membership fees. These fees may vary and they are set by the individual clubs themselves. Ask your local club about their fee structure
- Competition entry fees apply to all OWA events. The entry fee for OWA Club comps is $5.00 or $10.00
- When OWA is the host for a Regional or National event, the entry fee will be reflect that event
What equipment do I need for training?
- A good pair of weightlifting shoes is recommended
- Other than weightlifting shoes, you might want to consider things like wrist straps and knee sleeves and a lifting costume, but these are not essential for training
How do I enter an OWA hosted competition?
- You can register and pay for all OWA competitions online.
- If you don’t want to register online, contact the OWA Office and request an entry form for the competition you want to enter. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I have to be a member of a club to compete?
No. If you’re not a Member of a Club you can still compete in an OWA competition as a Guest. In order to have any results or records officially recognised, you must be a current member of OWNZ (Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand). Click here for the OWNZ Registration Form http://olympicweightlifting.nz/registrations/
What do I have to wear in competitions?
- The dress requirements depend on the level of the competition
- For OWA Club Competitions competitors can wear a lifting suit that conforms to the International rules, or they can wear a two-piece costume consisting of close-fitting shorts, plus a close-fitting T-shirt or singlet that covers the torso and does not cover the elbows. Shoes must always be worn